09 October 2013

String top

I finished my first string top!! I am SO excited!! I have wanted to make a full string quilt for a while (I started one a few years ago, but still haven't finished it).

I loved the piecing of it.  I talked about it here (in January! where does the time go?!) I also love that you can use whatever, I pulled things out of my strings bins without caring whether it matched or how it looked.

I definitely underestimated the number of blue strips I would need, luckily I found another that was close enough.  I love the way it looks with the blue in the middle, but it was tough making sure it was centered!


I saw this picture (the picture is a link and takes you to the blog it is from) floating around pinterest and the blog world, so I decided I wanted to do that with my string quilt.  I did mine a little different though.  I chose to do the darks in place of the lights and lights for darks for the sashing.  It definitely changes the look, I think it's quite a bit more scrappy looking.  I pulled anything and everything out of my 1.5" bin to make this, great way to use up some of those scraps!


I showed this off at my sewing day.  I realized that it's quite a bit longer, but not as wide.  SO I think I will be adding another row down the side.  IT'S SO SCRAPPY!!! I love it!

3 comments:

  1. I am not particularly a fan of string quilts but I love this one! I agree, I think I like the more use of darks in the sashing as well... Gives it more pop... although the one made by the other lady is quite striking too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too. I need to concentrate on dealing with my scraps soon. I'm running out of space to put them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is turning out great. This is the first time I've seen this and it is different from other scrappy quilts, I love it. Can't wait to see more of your blog and your block for the Stash Bee!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love it if you would leave me a comment!