07 August 2010

My grandma's quilt

I have pictures of my first quilt I made, but not with me at the moment (I am on Grandma's computer).  So I will post those someday.

And don't expect this many posts from me in the future ;) Although if I were to post about projects that I have done, but not posted here, well I could be posting pictures for a while :)

But today is dedicated to my grandma.

My grandma and I have been good buddies for as long as I can remember.  One summer I spent the summer with her, going to daycamp, and back with my mom on the weekends. I loved it!  I could probably write a book about the things that my grandma and I have done together.  We used to spend days together, where we would run errands together, going to lunch, and maybe getting me a "treat" at Borders.

When I really started sewing and would stay with her, I would use her antique Singer sewing machine, that actually belonged to my great-grandma.  It's a wonderful machine.  It will be mine someday :)

So onto Grandma's quilt.  I actually made most of it on her machine.  Some of it I did in school, I had originally wanted to do a G in the middle, but changed my mind on the design.  I also sewed it by rows (which I think it quite obvious ;) ), this was before I knew what a rotary cutter/blade/mat etc were, so I bought what I believe is called a charm pack, and just cut on the folds.  So they weren't all the same size, especially when you add in all the other fabrics I used.  When I started sewing I didn't have a lot of money, so I asked Grandma for old clothes, and I cut those up, and there are some of her shirts in this quilt, but also some of my grandpa's.

This quilt also includes the only cross stitch thing I have ever finished.  Basically a quilt label, but in the middle front. To finish the quilt I tied it with embroidery floss (with the help of my sister Jenny).  Grandma has loved and used this quilt a lot since I gave it to her, and that is the highest compliment to me.

I don't make quilts so they can sit in a box, or so they can sit up to be looked at, they are meant to be used!

So without anymore rambling, here are pictures!

 Here is grandma holding the quilt.  The plaid pieces are from my grandpa's old shirts.  And the floral are from some shirts that grandma gave me.  I picked out the "navajo" fabric because it's something that has interested grandma.  And truth be told I cannot tell you why I chose to use blue and whites.  It might just have been because of the navajo fabrics I found.

Here is a close up of the cross stitch.  I gave this to her 10 years ago!

And a post about my grandma wouldn't be complete without a picture of her! Love you mostest!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tribute! Love the quilt and the story. Just wondering if you got my reply yesterday(8/7)? Hoping it worked this time.

    ReplyDelete

I would love it if you would leave me a comment!